LYNX abuse by hackers?

Bill Walker WALKEB05 at STOCKTON.LIB.CA.US
Fri Mar 21 11:33:01 EST 1997

	Hi.  I would like to call on the expertise and experience of this
group's members.  Here is the scenario:

	Our public library has LYNX access at all public terminals and, until
recently, available to our dial-up users.  Recently it has come to the
attention of our Systems staff that it is possible for hackers to use our
LYNX browser access to somehow crack distant systems and cause havoc.  Has
anyone heard of this?  If so, is it very likely to happen?

	Our library's response so far has been to take LYNX off as an option
for dial-up users.  Part of the concern is that, for example, if a hacker
used our connection, went to Alta Vista or wherever and caused damage, Alta
Vista could track the culprit to our computer and we would then be denied
access to their very useful services.  Is this sort of thing really happening?

	People can e-mail me personally if they like and I would compile
the responses.  Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

--Bill Walker
  Stockton-San Joaquin County (Calif.) Public Library
  "opinions expressed are mine alone"