Kiosk?

Rhyno Art arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca
Sun Mar 9 14:13:06 EST 1997

> You need to add -k to the command line that starts up netscape.
> How you do this depends on a couple things.  If you're using Win95 and
> running it from a shortcut, right click on the shortcut icon, select the
> "properties" option, select the "Shortcut" tab, and add the -k after
> netscape.exe in the Target: field.  If your still not sure, let me know
> some details about your setup.

If you are using the Macintosh version of Netscape, you need to use
AppleScript, I have listed the statements below. Christopher's comments
about the lack of functionality in kiosk mode are worth emphasizing,
it is barley functional unless the newest version has made significant
changes in how it works. We are working with a script for Windows to
restart Netscape after 20 minutes of inactivity and to shut down helper
applications. The script also disables certain features of Netscape but
allows us to keep the navigation buttons in place. The scripting language
is called ScriptEase though for a few years it was known as CEnvi, and is
quite similar to Flute and other "C-like" scripting languages. I will
make the script available as soon as we have finished testing it out in the
public area. I would be curious to know how well the newest version of
Netscape handles kiosk mode, I haven't managed to successfully download it
yet !

art
---
Art Rhyno, Systems Librarian
Leddy Library, University of Windsor

------------------------ AppleScript Statements for KIOSK Mode -----------
tell application "Macintosh Hard Disk:Netscape:Netscape Navigator 3.0"
	set kiosk mode to 1
	webActivate 1
	set bounds of window 1 to {1, 38, 639, 476} --to fill a 14" monitor
end tell