Kiosk?

Christopher Jackson cjackson at monroe.lib.in.us
Sat Mar 8 16:23:03 EST 1997

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Jerry Horn wrote:

> I've reviewed past threads re: the kiosk mode in Netscape, but still can't
> figure out exactly how it is enabled-- I mean the actual steps taken to start
> it. Can anyone fill me in?    Thanks a lot.

You need to add -k to the command line that starts up netscape.
How you do this depends on a couple things.  If you're using Win95 and
running it from a shortcut, right click on the shortcut icon, select the
"properties" option, select the "Shortcut" tab, and add the -k after
netscape.exe in the Target: field.  If your still not sure, let me know
some details about your setup.

As you'll see, the kiosk mode takes away everything but the Window--no
navigation buttons, no pull-down menus, no location, no toolbar.  I
thought it sounded great for a library until I gave it a try.  It may fit
the fit the bill for some, but realize that all the user can do is follow
the links on html documents; there are no other means of navigating.

    Christopher Jackson                      cjackson at monroe.lib.in.us
    Reference Librarian                      voice: (812) 876-1272
    Monroe County Public Library             fax: (812) 876-2515
    Ellettsville, IN  47429                  http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/