FW: about:global in Netscape

Deanna P. Denk denkd at interaccess.com
Wed Mar 12 11:51:06 EST 1997

Interesting that the about:global command should come up now ...

I was in a Netscape training class yesterday and the issue of protecting
a library user's confidentiality at a public Internet station was
brought up. The class was concerned with the history list, the cache,
etc. and the fact that someone could use these tools to discover where
the previous user had been -- especially in situations where Netscape is
continually running (never "quit" or "exited").

Since this issue is likely to come up again -- I'd like to know your
various opinions on this matter. How concerned should librarians be --
if at all -- about preventing others from being able to check where on
the Internet a patron has been? Do you have policy for this? Does your
library make it the library user's responsibility? Do you expire links,
delete cache, exit Netscape after every user? Perhaps this issue is new
to you?

Thanks for your time.

--
Deanna P. Denk
Internet Trainer/Consultant
denkd at interaccess.com
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~denkd/deanna.html

"I'm not unemployed, I'm a consultant"  -- Dogbert