selecting a search engine for a library web site

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jun 24 11:28:21 EDT 1997

 ----
From: Steve Sloan (HIL) <SLOAN at unb.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1997 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: selecting a search engine for a library web site

>Certainly one of the most powerful search engines available
>is the LiveLink product from OpenText.  It's not free, or even
>cheap.  But it is very flexible, fast, scales well to large indexes,
>supports HTML, ASCII, SGML, WP, PDF and comes with a
>spider.

Open Text and Netscape announced on June 11 that Livelink would be bundled
with Suitespot.  No information on when that would happen, whether Netscape
would port Livelink to other versions of Unix (it currently runs only on
Solaris, HP-UX, and Windows NT), or whether Livelink would be available for
free to the communities that can currently get the other components of
SuiteSpot for free.  Nonetheless, I'm hoping that this will make Livelink a
more viable option for us.

http://www.opentext.com/corp/pr_netscape.html for what few details there
are.

Thomas Dowling