vanishing text fields/input buttons

Paul F. Schaffner pfs at umich.edu
Fri Jun 13 23:34:24 EDT 1997

Perhaps someone could point me toward the right FAQ.

Is it common for input text fields and input buttons ("SEARCH" "CLEAR")
used within a table against a background color, to vanish from the screen
sporadically? (retrievable, sometimes, by a jump up and back with the
scroll bar.) If so, is it a problem with the browser, the code, or the
receiving computer's display configuration? I.e., is there anything I
can do to fix it, aside from giving up on the idea of putting multiple
forms in separate bg-colored table cells?

o  URL in question: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfs/aapl/ksearch.html
o  Validated by "kinder, gentler validator"
   (http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/validate/) under the "netscape"
   dtd (<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//Netscape Comm. Corp.//DTD HTML//EN">)
   except for illegal use of <td bgcolor="#xxxxxx">.
o  System: Win 3.1
o  Browser: both Netscape 3.0 and Opera (latest).

Paul Schaffner
pfs at umich.edu