Netscape MCF announcement

Tony Barry tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 13 21:46:25 EDT 1997

Apologies for cross posting but this would seem to be an important
announcements for Libraries.  Having used the Hot Sauce implementation of
MCF the 3D paridgm for information navigation is very powerful.

Tony

>Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:13:37 -0700
>To: search at mccmedia.com, robots at mccmedia.com
>From: Nick Arnett <narnett at verity.com>
>Subject: Netscape MCF announcement
>Sender: search-request at mail.mccmedia.com
>
>Netscape Proposes New Standard Allowing Developers to Organize Information
>on The Web and Corporate Intranets
>
>MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- Netscape Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: NSCP)
>today announced it has submitted a new proposal, entitled "Meta Content
>Framework using XML," to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
>"Meta-content" is information about how online content is organized, in
>order to make it easier to manage information on Internet and Intranet
>sites. The Meta Content Framework (MCF) provides a common way for Web sites
>and corporate Intranets to describe all of their content in a summarized
>form, which can then be used for various purposes such as site mapping,
>indexing, content monitoring, and personalizing third party content.
>
>First introduced by Apple Computer in September 1996, MCF quickly gained
>support from a number of key industry partners including Netscape, and today
>is being used by more than 350 Web sites.  As one of the earliest supporters
>of MCF, Netscape has now extended leadership in helping to establish MCF as
>an open standard by formally submitting the proposal to the W3C.
>
>"Rather than having independent formats for site mapping, Web crawling,
>indexing, parental controls, and a range of other applications, Netscape has
>recognized a need in the developer community for a standard way to represent
>meta-content," said Rick Schell, senior vice president and general manager
>of the client product division at Netscape.  "This proposed standard is a
>significant milestone because it provides both information publishers and
>application developers with a single, unified method for organizing
>information everywhere."
>
>"As the amount of information on the Web continues to increase at a
>phenomenal rate, a common meta-content standard will become as important
>tomorrow as HTML, the common content standard, has become today," said Larry
>Tesler, chief scientist at Apple Computer.  "We commend Netscape for their
>leadership in ensuring that new Internet standards are truly platform
>neutral and interoperate well with existing standards.  We support their
>submission of MCF to the W3C for consideration as the open standard for
>meta-content."
>
>By structuring content using MCF, information can then be used for various
>purposes, including site mapping for easier navigation, indexing for use by
>a search engine, content monitoring, parental control, scheduling proactive
>downloading of content, personalizing third party content, and a wide
>variety of other applications which ultimately offer greater efficiencies in
>information management.  The proposed MCF standard is very broad in scope,
> [...]

mailto:tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au          |+61 6 249 5688
http://www.anu.edu.au/People/TonyB.html |+61 6 288 0959

Ningaui Pty Ltd, GPO Box 1680, Canberra City,  ACT 2601

Visiting Fellow, Department of Computer Science,   FEIT
Australian National University,    ACT 0200   AUSTRALIA