_Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery in MARC Databases_

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Sat Jun 14 15:12:08 EDT 1997

  _Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery in MARC Databases_

   I am in the process of preparing a review article on
the application of data mining and knowledge discovery in
databases (KDD) to MARC record databases. These techniques
are efforts to identify 'hidden' information within large
data sets. It is my belief that there exists important, yet
overlooked, relationships within MARC records created through
the descriptive and subject cataloging process that have not
been as fully exploited as they might. A good example would
be to identify significant works on a subject based upon
associations within records of a given publisher, author(s)
and subject heading and call number.

   I am particularly interested in the application of Data
Mining and KDD as potential enhancement to future online
public access systems (e.g OPACs).

   For a description of an associated project, folk are invited
to review my 4T9R(sm) URL. It contains not only a project
description but links to an excellent review article from
DBMS magazine and to the outstanding _KDNuggets Data Mining and
Knowledge Discovery Resource center at its new URL. The URL for
4T9R9(sm) is

        http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/4T9R.htm

    As always, any and all suggestions, leads, critiques, opinion
and/or positive (or negative) thoughts will be much appreciated.

    Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University