Filtering Ad Nauseum

Dianne L Parham DZP at library.sannet.gov
Wed Jun 11 06:48:02 EDT 1997

We've been all talking about what our community demands, but what most of
us mean is what a few people have complained about, or what we are
assuming people will complain about based on our own various level of
paranoia.

Has anyone out there surveyed their community to find out what they
really want in terms of information access?  And I don't mean peering over
their shoulder, but doing an actual survey of community needs, wants, and
goals?  I have a feeling that the community who is satisfied with the
access aren't being heard from because they have no complaints.  And, no,
I'm not ready to believe that all of the unheard are latent ponographers
and bomb builders.  Some may be decent human beings who have serious
interest in accessing materials on radical things like cancer (including,
gasp, testicular and breast), parenting (what....children aren't found
under cabbage leaves...so that's what I was doing wrong!), literature (oh,
no, they found the Anais Nin website!), etc.  I'd be interested in
hearing if anyone out there is basing their assumption on anything but
anecdotal information, news reports of dubious value, and their own
personal prejudices and biases.

Dianne Parham
San Diego Public Library