(Fwd) RE: Electronic Brown Wrappers

Jan Heckman heckman at cc.usu.edu
Thu Jun 5 18:06:58 EDT 1997

The following is some of thread of the discussion about "filtering"
software on internet terminals in libraries.  Following that is my
response to David Burt.

Jennifer Reiswig wrote:

>I was opposed to the idea of filtering for a while, but after
>I started looking at the global history files on our public
>Internet PCs, I'm starting to change my mind.
>(Thanks to this list for the hint on using about:global in Netscape.)
>Fully half the sites visited are totally recreational without question.

I was wondering when someone in a very specialized library was going to
say that!
Why in the world should a biomedical library feel obligated to use its
scarce resources to  provide recreational information?

The anti-filtering activists argue that one size of Internet access must
fit every library.
Who thinks that's fair?

My hunch is that the anti-filterers will oppose this too, since it might
set off a dreaded "slippery slope", and would make you into one of those
evil censors.  So I guess you'd better get used to your new mission(s) ;

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us

David,
You're getting rather strident about this issue, aren't you?

A quick list of  thoughts (don't flame these, they are only ideas
for consideration and I'm not implying any judgement on your part by
raising such issues).

The intent of the patron should not be questioned.

If a reference librarian  could provide the address of a highly
controversial goup (NAMBLA,, if that's the right acroynm), but not an
ILL document, would/should you?

The FACT that librarians didn't collected certain material in the
past doesn't mean they should have made those choices.  The whole
impact of the internet means maybe material not collected in the past
can now be accessed.

Perhaps "smart cards" will be the future of children's library cards.
 Parents can program into the card the restrictions they choose and
the library will honor those restrictions.  ??? What about children's
rights to learn more than their  parents?

Obviously the subject of "filtering" or "blocking" software on public
internet terminals is contentious, but despite the use of such an
issue as a wedge argument (which results in defenders of free access
being labeled as deviants) the high ground, free access to the
thoughts and actions (history of pop culture in a primary form) of
human  behavior should be defended with as few compromises as
possible.

I understand parent's objections to material that portrays sex before
marriage, but I personally don't agree.  Sex viewed by a young adult
may make them horny.  Most sex viewed by very young children
is "yucky" or makes them curious, at which point a resonable
adult can help explain. Violence viewed may make them think that is
an answer, at least the way violence is portrayed in the 20th
century.  Sex and violence combined  is anethema.

Violence and the acceptance of same as an answer or response to human
conditions has caused much more grief than pornography.  Should the
(fictional titles) "The History of War", "Serial Killers of the 20th
Century",  "The Art of Boxing", etc. and all internet access to same
be restricted?  Do the parents who object to sexual material equally
object to violent material?

My personal philosophy on many issues runs along the lines of the
Kantian prime directive, Don't treat others as a means.
Which means that all business's, religions, and politicians
are suspect, but librarians are in the position of providing
information to both those who seek to use the
rest of us and those who wish to enlighten.

My suggestion is that librarians step back, take a long look with as
much perspective as possible, make as few compromises as possible,
and provide the most open access to the internet as possible.