public access to academic resources -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Mon Jul 28 18:54:19 EDT 1997

>>> <CAROLINE at lib.uttyl.edu> 07/25/97 10:56am >>>
I am beginning to wonder about the legality of restricting
these services.  We are a public institution and are funded
by state monies.  Our students, however, pay some pretty
heavy access fees as part of their fee bill.
-------
It has nothing to do with laws, yet everything to do with laws.
You (or someone at your place) signed a contract, thus
agreeing to abide by the terms of said contract.  The contract
will also say which state's laws will prevail in case of dispute.
If you/y'all  signed that you'll restrict it to such folks, then
you'd better abide by it.  Otherwise, you're likely to get billed
and/or sued for such usage.  In fact, since you've told your
story here, the vendors all know who they'd better check up
on.

I'm sure the vendors will gladly contract with you to make it
available to the state, the country, or Mars.  I'm not sure I'd
want to pay the bills, though, as you'd probably be talking six
or seven figures.  Besides that, the telecom charges to Mars
are really high, and the response time is truly awful.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.