Chat on public access Internet

Donovan Lambright fmt000 at mail.connect.more.net
Thu Feb 13 10:13:56 EST 1997

At our library, we do not have any rules about what people can or can't do
on our public Internet PCs.  This does occasionally lead to complaints from
patrons about what others are doing--usually chat or adult materials.  Our
only hard rule (aside from the usual ones dealing with hacking, etc.) is
that a 45 minute time limit must be observed.

Unfortunately, this time limit is enforced by the Reference Librarians.
Some of them are quite good about it, others feel that they have too much to
do already without worrying about a bunch of Internet patrons.  As the
policy stands now, each Ref. Librarian has descretion to enforce the limit
as he\she sees fit.  This means that some enforce it well, others less well,
and a few not at all.

In listening to the Ref. Librarians complain about the Internet PCs, I've
noticed that young adults are usually singled out as the biggest problem.  I
used to be a Ref. Librarian and still work the desk several times a week and
have tried to pay attention to how the PCs are used.  I really don't think
the kids abuse the PCs any more than adults do.  They are, however, more
visible and sometimes more obnoxious about it.  As a result, some of the
librarians tend to focus their enforcement on young adults.  I don't like
this, but with the policies structured the way they are now, there's not
much I can do about it.

As a public library, I feel that it would be wrong for us to establish some
uses of the Internet as more legitimate than others and I strongly agree
with Donald's anology about seating in the library.  I have to admit though,
that I grind my teeth when all our Internet PCs are busy with waiting lists
and 4 out of the 5 machines are occupied by chatters....

Donovan Lambright
Computer Services Manager

Missouri River Regional Library
PO Box 89