Chat on public access Internet

Charles A. Summerhill casummerhill at librarylrc.uams.edu
Thu Feb 13 13:03:23 EST 1997

Our computer has two areas with Internet Stations, each with slightly
different "policies".

This is a Health Sciences Center library, BTW...

The Information Access Services (Reference Desk) has two web-stations --
they provide a book in which patrons are allowed to sign up for one
thirty minute period. If the station is open, then it is free to be
used. It can be used for a thirty minute period before another patron is
allowed access (if no one is waiting, the first patron can continue).
This area is open to the public. E-Mail is not provided on either
station. What they use the station for (general browsing, chat or
reference) is not a consideration.

I work in the Learning Resource Center where we have twenty-five
web/e-mail enabled stations and fifteen additional stations with e-mail.
This stations primarily host medical education applications with
Netscape and Telnet being added on. We have a priority list for the use
of our computer with 1.) students using medical education apps coming
first, 2.) students using the internet for assigned resources, 3.)
students using e-mail, 4.) non-assigned Internet use. These policies are
enforced (rigorously) by the LRC staff. There are no time limits. This
area of the library is only open to faculty, students and staff of the
University.

It sounds like each library has completely different policies and
implementations (we have two different ones within the same library).
Our policies are dictated by "economies": Information Access has only
two computer, therefore they limit time. The Learning Resource Center
has many more computers, but they are provided for the students to use
educational programs first -- Internet is provided after the primary
function is fulfilled.

--
  Charles A. Summerhill
  Network Manager