Chat on public access Internet

Toni Alatalo antont at funkis.lib.hel.fi
Wed Feb 12 06:40:23 EST 1997

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 ballen at clatsop.cc.or.us wrote:

> We have a problem with student using our library Internet
> computers for Chat. We have a time limit for the use of the

This seems to be quite a common problem.  We've also had trouble with chat
users taking over all terminals for hours. I think however it is not for
the library to judge whether chat or any service on the net is useful or
not, but to provide customers with the services they need.

Our solution was to deny IRC and MUD use from the workstations ment for
other use and put up a corner with some old text-based terminals that the
users seem to be quite happy with.

-
Toni Alatalo, civil servant             http://www.lib.hel.fi/~antont/
Helsinki City Library / Cable Book      http://kirjakaapeli.lib.hel.fi/