Chat on public access Internet

ballen at clatsop.cc.or.us ballen at clatsop.cc.or.us
Tue Feb 11 23:17:00 EST 1997

We have a problem with student using our library Internet
computers for Chat. We have a time limit for the use of the
computers and a sign up process.  We have a debate about
whether or not Chat is acceptable use.  I see it as a waste of
a library resource and would like to stop this type of use.
On the other hand if the student stays within the set time
limitation and chooses to use the internet in this way, what
is wrong with that. Most of those who frequent the chat rooms
tend to stay for long periods of time-staff has to intervene,
it could get ugly.
I am interested in how others view this.

Name: Bonnie Allen
Director,  Learning Resource Center
Clatsop Community College
Astoria, Or 97103