Limiting browsers to sites

Judi Behr judibehr at infinet.com
Mon Dec 22 13:35:59 EST 1997

Stacy Pober wrote

> We want to limit certain of our public computers to browsing our
> catalog and specific web-based periodical indexes.

snip

One issue libraries face as they migrate from CD ROMS to web based
subscription services is the dedicated workstation issue. Providing a
browser on a computer encourages the use of that computer for internet
surfing. Suppose a library wishes to dedicate a computer to access a
specific web database... one that is being paid for such as UMI Proquest
Direct or Ebscohost, how does a library keep that work station from becoming
a surfing station? If the library is paying for access to a database, it
makes sense to have the greatest number of patrons able to access that
particular database.

The tools in The Library Channel (domain surfing, right lists and wrong
lists) make it very easy to configure an individual computer or a number of
computers to be dedicated workstations. A number of  libraries in Ohio
including Greene County Public Library are using The Library Channel to
provide access to a  limited number of web and network database products. If
you want to limit certain public computers to browsing specific web-based
indexes and databases, The Library Channel provides the tools to do that and
many other features as well. Many different access configurations,
collection development, completly open access, restricted access and patron
ease of use are all features of The Library Channel.

I think that installing a proxy server to restrict access to a limited
number of databases and websites is not as cost effective.

judibehr at infinet.com

Judi Behr
Vimpact
612 Park St