Argus Clearinghouse upgrade (fwd)

Louis Rosenfeld lou at argus-inc.com
Wed Apr 30 15:24:32 EDT 1997

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Joe Barker wrote:

> My impression is that the new Argus is easier to use and the lighter
> colors improve its ambiance.  However, I believe it is significantly
> SLOWER -- not a good thing.
> Joe Barker, Teaching Library UC Berkeley

One behind-the-scenes change we had to make with the Argus Clearinghouse
was switching to more of a database-driven approach, where our content is
stored in a database and HTML pages that you access are generated on the
fly.  This is necessary to support better searching and easier
maintenance.  But while this may slow things down a bit, the delays seemed
minimal to our testers.  You might want to try accessing the site at
different times of day.  This would help discern if the delays are due to
our system or server, or due to the Internet's equivalent to "acts of
god", such as network traffic, poor performance on the client end, and so
forth.

Louis Rosenfeld                                             lou at argus-inc.com
Argus Associates, Inc.                                   http://argus-inc.com
109 Catherine Street                                   voice: +1.313.913.0010
Ann Arbor, MI  48104  USA                                fax: +1.313.213.8082

Try out the vastly improved Argus Clearinghouse: http://www.clearinghouse.net
"Web Architect" twice/month in Web Review magazine:  http://www.webreview.com