Netscape disabling.. with/without Ikiosk

Bill Moseley moseley at netcom.com
Mon Apr 21 12:40:58 EDT 1997

At 07:57 AM 4/21/97 -0700, Alejandro Garza Gonzalez wrote:
>You can selectively disable any drive which would normally appear in a
>"Save As..." or "Open" dialog box in Win95 with he TweakUI tool from
>Microsoft. In our public stations, we only have the A: drive active. We
>let users download whatever, but only to floppies. (CTRL-S in a
>Kiosk-mode netscape brings up a Save-As dialog).

No, this option in Win 95 doesn't disable these drives.  It only removes
them from the pull down drive menu.  A patron can still type "C:" in the
File Name box and see the entire drive.  I find little value in this
option.  It is nice if on a network and you have a million drive letters
that you would rather not see.

>To eliminate the 'Explore' option in these dialog boxes (with a right
>mouse click) you can rename explorer.exe to some other filename.

You can't do this without also changing the shell= line in system.ini, as
explorer.exe is the shell and then Win 95 won't run with it renamed.

To disable given features of the right-mouse context menu you should edit
the HKCR part of the registry, or use a good security program such as IKIOSK.

>To totally get rid of a Start menu and desktop, switch the SYSTEM.INI
>file that says SHELL=explorer.exe to SHELL=progman.exe. In Progman
>(Program Manager) you can disable the "Tasks" window (which lets you exit
>windows and run other programs) by renaming TASKMAN.EXE to something else...

To disable the taskman, place in system.ini's [boot] section the line
"taskman.exe=" (no quotes).  This is also important if you are using Win 95
profiles, as you can press Ctrl-Esc at the login prompt and then run
programs before logging into Win 95.

Using the Program Manager as the shell has one big benefit, IMHO.  It
allows you to use the RestrictRun registry setting to prevent access to
Exploring (which you can't if explorer.exe is the Win 95 shell program).

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at netcom.com