telnet URLs

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 18 12:26:21 EDT 1996

Chuck Bearden asks about the trailing slash on telnet URLs, and notes
that it breaks MSIE.  From RFC1738:

   A telnet URL takes the form:

   as specified in Section 3.1. The final "/" character may be omitted.
   If :<port> is omitted, the port defaults to 23.  The :<password> can
   be omitted, as well as the whole <user>:<password> part.

Given the "be conservative in what you send" corrollary to "be liberal in
what you accept" I would recommend that anyone coding web pages omit the
trailing slash, but that we also bug vendors to accept it and strip it if
they expect their telnet helper apps not to be able to handle it.  I'd also
bug vendors to produce telnet clients that do an autologin when passed
a username/password pair.