Netscape and MSIE administration kits -- any info?

Alex Nishri nishri at utcc.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 10 15:04:10 EDT 1996

> Does that mean one library could create a kisok mode for other libraries
> outside their institution and offer it under the educational user
> license?  The Admin. Kit is quite expensive for us to purchase and use
> for the 8-10 macines we will eventually have available.

I am not a lawyer. My reading of the Netscape license my University signed
for Navigator is that we are not permitted to distribute it outside our
institution. (If your organization distributes Navigator someone should
have signed a distribution license; otherwise check the license that came
with your copy.)

Netscape has been known to offer custom versions of Netscape for US$25,000
or so.  If there was agreement on features perhaps a consortium of
Libraries could approach Netscape for a "Library mode" Netscape. For
starters, check the existing Netscape "kiosk" mode and see how that would
differ from a "Library mode".

Alex Nishri
Network Services
University of Toronto