Query: Investigating web-usage

Ulrich Babiak ubabiak at dom.de
Thu Oct 10 14:43:08 EDT 1996

 On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, ISN wrote:
> I am looking for a software tool to analyze log-files of an O'Reilly's
> Website. We would like to know more about the number of users of our web,
> possibly differentiated by the demanded page/service, their domain of
> provenience etc.

Let's face it - if you can't shell out some 3-digit-amount for
a "professional" package you probably have to use several smaller
packages, each one serving different needs and having different
features.

As your platform is windows, I would recommend to look at AnaLog
(free) and wusage (Shareware, cheap but good). Check out
my statistics page at http://www.stbib-koeln.de/noindex/ausage.htm to
compare the results. Both of them are highly customizable
(and AnaLog has a german output option!)

The URLs for the software:
www.boutell.com (wusage)
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/analog/ (AnaLog)
http://www.blpes.lse.ac.uk/misc/musage.htm (musage - if you have perl)

Ulrich Babiak                         StadtBibliothek Koeln
ubabiak at stbib-koeln.de               postbox at stbib-koeln.de
Webmaster / Netzbetreuung              Josef-Haubrich-Hof 1
                                                50676 Koeln