No subject

Bob Long bob at mail.esrl.lib.md.us
Tue Nov 12 21:06:32 EST 1996

At 03:50 PM 11/12/96 -0800, Rod Miller wrote:

>Web server administration question to those who allow,
>or intentionally include (you should all be striken
>by lightening...but that's another issue),
>animated gifs on their server(s).
>
>When these push/pull animations skew your
>web server access log beyong all meaningful
>recoginition, do you:

Animated gifs (89a) shouldn't skew your log files at all. They are designed
to load once. They then run out of memory. You can even disconnect your
session and they will still run. Try it.
        Server push is another story. But I can't imagine anyone still using
that for animations.
        Like anything, animated gifs can work if used wisely and in
moderation. No need for lightening strikes. Stay calm, folks.

Bob