Advertising

emiller at smtpgwy.isinet.com emiller at smtpgwy.isinet.com
Fri Nov 1 08:45:12 EST 1996

     I have got a proposal.  I know that this is probably off-topic, but since
     the discussion seems to be ongoing, I thought I would throw this into the
     fray.

     Every year, the Advertising Council creates an ad campaign for public
     service issues (see the examples at
     http://www.adcouncil.org/icons.html.  Perhaps it is time for us in
     library land to approach groups like SLA, ALA, ASIS and so on and put
     together a proposal for the Advertising Council and let them develop an
     ad campaign for libraries - all kinds - and all the services available
     in them.  If we want to let the world know what we do and how we do
     it, maybe this is a solution.  Below is some copy from their web site
     on future campaigns.

     Commitment 2000: Raising a Better Tomorrow.

       "The Ad Council is committed to making a longer-lasting impact on
     society by helping all of our children have a better chance to achieve
     their full potential."

     The Advertising Council recently announced an initiative that will
     guide its work into the next century. Known as Commitment 2000:
     Raising a Better Tomorrow, the initiative means that all new campaigns
     accepted by the Council will focus on benefiting the health and
     well-being of children in some way.

     As part of Commitment 2000, the Council will develop multiple
     multi-year advertising campaigns that will provide Americans with
     specific action steps and preventive measures to improve the lives of
     children living in this country. Commitment campaigns will target
     parents, educators, people without children, and children themselves,
     and will address issues ranging from healthcare and education to
     family and community concerns. The Ad Council has committed to this
     approach for at least the next 10 years.

     The Board of Directors of the Ad Council decided to sharpen the
     Council's focus in an effort to make a longer-lasting impact on
     society. In announcing Commitment 2000, Time Inc. Chairman Reginald K.
     Brack, who was the Ad Council's chairman during the development of the
     initiative, said, "The problems of children are complex and require
     many different types of solutions in order to create lasting positive
     change. The consequences of failing to help children lead more
     productive lives is, in our view, the most urgent issue of our time."

     The new focus does not require a complete overhaul of Ad Council
     operations since nearly 50 percent of our current campaigns are
     consistent with Commitment 2000. Additionally, a small portion of the
     Council's docket will be reserved for campaigns that are not
     specifically focused on benefiting children but represent other
     critical issues facing society.

     According to Ruth Wooden, Ad Council President, "There are thousands
     of organizations and individuals out there working tirelessly on
     behalf of children. We want to add our unique expertise to support
     their activities."

     Assessing the long-term impact of Ad Council messages is a vital part
     of the commitment. The Council plans to measure the cumulative effect
     of all its Commitment 2000 campaigns and will issue a progress report
     each year to media and financial supporters to demonstrate how their
     contributions are helping improve the lives of children.

     Any thoughts?

     Elisa Miller                            "Whatever you can do or
     Institute for Scientific Information    dream you can, begin it.
     3501 Market Street                      Boldness has genius, power
     Philadelphia, Pa 19104                  and magic in it."
     (215)386-0100 x 1395                                   Goethe
     emiller at isinet.com
     URL - http://www.isinet.com