Security options for public-access PC's

Kate A. Pohjola kpohjola at macomb.lib.mi.us
Tue May 7 12:33:40 EDT 1996

Has anyone tried using tattle tapes or other somewhat non-visible
security measures for their publicly accessible terminals?  We're in the
process of getting two stations for Netscape, and we're opening a CD-ROM
jukebox terminal to the public this week.  The CPU's are "stashed away"
beneath our reference desk, meaning that patrons only see the terminal,
mouse, keyboard and headphones.  We haven't experienced any problems with
theft of our equipment; we've never really secured anything, either.

Has anyone ever tried a attaching tattle tape (we use 3M brand) to these
things?  All of the things we're thinking about attaching the tapes to
are not very close to the CPU.  Will tattle tapes cause a problem, even
if we're not sensitizing/desensitizing them?  Any other non-intrusive
ideas?  All suggestions are welcome!  Thanks.

--
Kate A. Pohjola				http://www.grfn.org/~kapohj
Walt Whitman Branch