Editing Netscape 2.02 in Windows 95 w/Borland C++ 5.0 -Reply

Frank Cervone fcervone at wppost.depaul.edu
Fri Aug 2 17:21:19 EDT 1996

Thanks for the info. I suspected that the Window item was built-on the
fly. Not putting in the POP or SMTP info does not even slow our students
down. The SMTP hosts are protected by IP filtering (where appropriate),
and unless you have an account, TELNET isn't going to get you
anywhere anyway. Our primary issue is having students using
machines that are supposed to be for "research" for email, especially
since there are several other places on campus where they can do
email.

Thanks,
Frank
At 01:40 PM 7/31/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone on the list tried the above combination?  We adapted the
>instructions available at the WEB4LIB web site for the above, but have
>run into two major anomalies in regard to the menu bar.  >1) After
setting the "Add bookmarks" item to greyed or disabled, it still
>shows up active.

Using a resource editor only disables the starting menu items when the
program is first loaded - if the program has a menu item that it controls
while running the resource editor won't help.  The "Window" menu is a
problem, as it seems that Netscape builds this menu while the computer
is running.

Perhaps you could just disable all the menus on the Mail window -- your
patrons could still get to the mail windows, but they wouldn't be able to
do anything.  Also, by leaving out the POP and SMTP settings they won't
be able to access email.

You realize the if you have telnet on your machine that people (okay,
computer geeks) can send email by telneting directly to a SMTP machine.

Bill Moseley mailto:moseley at netcom.com