Netscape 3.0 Gold and netscape.ini -Reply

Frank Cervone fcervone at wppost.depaul.edu
Fri Aug 2 18:01:59 EDT 1996

All of the settings in Netscape 3.0 are stored in the registry. The
Netscape.ini file no longer exists and an old one will not be used. So,
unfortunately, you can either go into regedit and change things there, or
take the simpler route and just set everything up again in the Netscape
Preferences.

Frank Cervone
Assistant Director for Systems
DePaul University Libraries

>>> Kay McCoy <mccoykay at wvlc.wvnet.edu> 08/02/96 02:43pm >>>
Web4libbers:
        I just downloaded Netscape 3.0 Gold on my Windows 95 PC.  It
ignored my existing netscape.ini file and no matter where I have put it,
continues to ignore it.   As a result, of course, I have "lost" all my
preferences - most noticably the helper applications.

        I accepted the default location of "program
files\netscape\navigator";  setup then put the netscape.exe file in
"program files\netscape\navigator\program" .  I have put the ini file in
".....program", in ".....navigator", and in "windows"; none of these
locations worked.

        I also tried the Start/Run/regedit feature as described in one of the
FAQs listed under help.  I found that slightly confusing, but won't go into
it here unless that turns out to be part of the solution.  As far as I could
see, it wasn't.

        Any help would be appreciated.  Please respond to me in person so
as not to clutter up the list with trivial technical detail!  :-)    Thanks.

Kay McCoy     mccoykay at wvlc.wvnet.edu
Automation Manager                        531 Summit Street     Fayette County
Public Libraries        Oak Hill, WV 25901
                                                phone/fax: 304-465-5664
 "it's a long way back to Eden,
      so don't sweat the small stuff"
                 Steven King (Insomnia)