Role of librarians

TravLib1 at aol.com TravLib1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 21 19:20:43 EDT 1995

As a frequent viewer of this listserv, I have never seen a thread so tightly
woven as this discussion of the role of librarians (and I would assume
libraries as well).

When it comes to protecting our surf, the hair on our necks certainly rises
quickly at the thought that the internet may be putting us out of business.

Bull.

My library has adopted a services plan that, in the end, says that "The
Library is a Gathering Place for People to be Informed, Entertained, and
Enlightened".  Of particular note in this plan is the idea that people are
flesh and blood, not bytes and digits.

Granted, a library is place where you can gather via computer, phone, modem,
fax,  and mail. What will distinguish the library from all the other "places"
is that is also a place you can visit as a genuine body.

Hey, here you can not only talk about, visualize,  and digitize a cup of
coffee, you can actually drink one.

Mike McGuire, Director
Traverse Area District Library
Our Mission: To inform, entertain and enlighten.

"If technology is the answer, what is the question?"