Role of librarians

Carlos I McEvilly cim at c3serve.c3.lanl.gov
Tue Oct 24 21:05:37 EDT 1995

On Sat, 21 Oct 1995 TravLib1 at aol.com wrote:
> When it comes to protecting our surf, the hair on our necks certainly rises
> quickly at the thought that the internet may be putting us out of business.
> Bull.

Please!  The only person who ever suggested that
librarians were going out of business was one
person who posted a sarcastic analogy about radio
and television.  And, in case it isn't clear by
now, he did not mean it -- he was joking.

The interesting questions are still:

* How does the Internet affect librarianship
* What are the directions for the future
* How can librarians ensure that their future is
  the future they want?
* How should librarians treat the Internet?

Then again, maybe this isn't the best place for
these questions -- but it is nice to see them
coming up once in a while.

Carlos McEvilly
cim at lanl.gov