Saving to floppy

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Wed Nov 22 08:55:57 EST 1995

>One of our commonest requests from users is to
>copy *images* from within web pages. We make the
>usual point to users about copyright!

And what point is that, exactly?  Format alone does not determine whether
making a copy is fair use.  I'd be very ticked off if a library that
allowed me to download a few thousand bibliographic citations (perhaps
even in a format I could import into another database) automatically told
me I couldn't snare a copy of some 3k inline GIF.

It's good to make users aware of copyright issues.  It's potentially
dangerous to play copyright cop.

>The problem with clients like Netscape is that

>the elements of a page are all cached, but given
>*.moz filenames that offer no clue as to the file
>type or contents.

BTW, some clients include support for downloading inline images.  I'm
temporarily stuck without access to good browsers on any platform (when
will developers come out with Netscape for NeXT??!?), but I recall it's
just a right-button click in Windows Mosaic.

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK