Saving to floppy

John McKay j.mckay at rave.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 08:13:10 EST 1995

This refers to the recent discussion about
library users copying WWW information to floppies.

One of our commonest requests from users is to
copy *images* from within web pages. We make the
usual point to users about copyright!

The problem with clients like Netscape is that
the elements of a page are all cached, but given
*.moz filenames that offer no clue as to the file
type or contents.

We've been looking at a promising Windows (sorry
Mac people...) shareware programme written by
Daniel Grealy (dg at nbbs.demon.co.uk) which acts
as a cache manager, offering useful filenames,
file sizes, and (importantly) file types such as
*.gif or *.jpg. This makes it easy to identify
the image file (or whatever) you're after, and
then save it. By default, CacheMan saves files
to a \netscape\save directory, but could I think
be set to save to the floppy drive.

The downloadable files for CacheMan Version
4.0 are

     cachemn4.txt
     cachemn4.zip

which are available from, inter alia, the site...

     ftp://ftp.sunet.se

in the directory...

     pub/pc/windows/winsock-indstate/WWW-Browsers/NetScape

I'd be interested to know if other library staff
find the program useful.

John.

--
John McKay
Ravensbourne College of Design & Communication