Why disable access to software features?

Ilene Frank (REF) ifrank at dudley.lib.usf.edu
Thu Nov 2 15:53:07 EST 1995

We've just put 14 PCs out on the Reference floor a few weeks ago. They
have Netscape, Mosaic, gopher, our on-line catalog, and GPO WAIS.  AND at
first they all had telnet.  What that meant was 14 PCs being used for IRC.
We cut the number of terminals with telnet-accessibility down to 5.  Now
there are FIVE terminals being used to telnet to student accounts in order
to use IRC, email, etc.

RE: Netscape.  We had a problem with patron(s?) sending anonymous postings
of a virulently racist nature.  What to do?  The systems people decided to
disable telnet.  This goes against the grain as Eric said, doesn't it? So
does policing the use of those 14 terminals!  They are out there in
the open just sitting there...  We're still grappling with this policy
issues.

Ilene Frank, ifrank at lib.usf.edu
Tampa Campus Library
Univ. of South Florida
         //////////////////////////////////////

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
> Remind me why we, as librarians, would like to disable access to some of the
> software's features. I thought librarians were interested in free and equal
> access to information?
>
> --
> Eric Lease Morgan
> NCSU Libraries
> "I have  written a comprehensive book about Macintosh
> computers and the World Wide Web. Read Teaching a New
> Dog Old Tricks at http://152.1.24.177/teaching/manuscript/"

Ilene Frank, Reference Dept.
Tampa Campus Library, LIB 122, University of South Florida, Tampa FL 33620
ifrank at lib.usf.edu
voice mail (813) 974-2483