[Web4lib] apps vs webpages?

Wilfred Drew DrewW at tc3.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:46:38 EDT 2010

I am beginning to wonder if libraries should even attempt to create apps for smart phones.  We can't possible create what is needed for even the most popular models of smart phones.  Why not use the cloud and create web based apps or good mobile sites?  Is OCLC taking the wrong approach by creating apps for WorldCat Local?  Are database vendors making a mistake by creating apps?

The creation of apps for finding and processing information seem counterproductive to me.

Wilfred (Bill) Drew, M.S., B.S., A.S.
Assistant Professor
Librarian, Systems and Tech Services
Strengths: Ideation, Input, Learner, Command, Analytical
E-mail: dreww at tc3.edu
Follow the library: http://twitter.com/TC3Library
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or document.