[Web4lib] apps vs webpages?

Dobbs, Aaron AWDobbs at ship.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:58:23 EDT 2010

Nothing wrong with creating an app if the local audience desires it
(and how does one know if the local audience desires it without creating one for them to try out?)

A different app for every vendor or each library's catalog doesn’t make much sense, to me, though.
An app which pulls from a large, multi-format index of authoritative, academically-focused stuff would be a killer app if it were tied to an authentication mechanism - until authentication is no longer needed.
A discovery layer (Summon, EBSCO Discovery Service, WorldCat, etc.) app would make the most sense - assuming the results were useable on the smart phone.

-Aaron
:-)'