[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Nov 22 23:20:08 EST 2007

Kyle Felker wrote:

> Kindle uses a proprietary e-book format (.azw files), which
> makes the kindle store and the kindle ebook reader inextricably
> coupled.

Aha, similar to iPod+iTunes.  Or your phone + a subscription with
the phone company.  For total liberty from the phone company, you
should only use CB (or ham) radio. Unfortunately, there are so few
people you can call that way.

Bell might have invented the phone (some argue about this), but
did he also invent the subscription?  The money doesn't come from
the phone, it comes from the subscription.  That's the important
innovation.

> What the consumer ebook market needs is an ebook version of the
> MP3 file format: something that's supported by the majority of
> the ebook reader hardware, and in which most content can be
> obtained or easily converted to.  Until we have this, ebook
> usage is too tied to a particular vendor and service model and
> too limited in what you can do with it to be appealing.

> Put another way:  vendors and publishers are going to have a
> hard time selling a lot of ebooks until they stop strangling the
> market with proprietary file formats and draconian DRM
> restrictions.  Until this happens, ANY ebook platform is going
> to have a hard time succeeding.

This might be your wishful dream (and mine), but is there any data
to prove your point?  We have had "plain text", HTML and PDF for
ages, which are excellent DRM-free formats for reading text on any
kind of device, but even if there might be demand, there is very
little supply. It's so easy to make perfect pirate copies of a TXT
file, that commercial publishers don't dare to sell a single copy.

Judging from how much larger and more profitable phone companies
(including equipment makers like Sony-Ericsson and Nokia) are than
companies that sell CB equipment or even Palm Pilots, I'm not so
sure that open formats/open solutions will have any future in the
commercial market.  Skype gets a lot of users, but they don't take
in a lot of revenue, compared to traditional phone companies.

> than any online ebook store I've been to yet, but there are
> still titles I can't get in electronic format.

The relevant comparison is: Can you get more with or without DRM?

> kindle...until I remembered that a lot of that stuff is free on
> the web, and I can already access it on my handheld.

But how much longer will newspaper publishers provide that free
service, with only advertising money, if they can get more money
through a subscription deal?

> I certainly won't be buying one.

Me neither.  But I don't really have the choice to buy DRM-free
e-books instead.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)