[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Kathryn Silberger Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu
Mon Nov 26 15:49:51 EST 2007

Lars Aronsson wrote:  But how much longer will newspaper publishers provide
that free
service, with only advertising money, if they can get more money
through a subscription deal?

That is an interesting question in several ways.  It assumes that Kindle
will be an advertising-free device.  Were that true, it would be a point in
its favor.  But I have read nothing indicating that Amazon has that
intention.   Certainly they aren't going to include comments about ad
content in their promotional literature, but they certainly aren't saying
anything about being ad-free.  Advertising has a way of creeping onto
anything at which we direct out eyes.  I remember a time when we assumed,
since we were paying for the individual use,  that the videos/dvds we
rented would be without commercials (aside from the ubiquitous product
placements), but that has changed.  Generally when you rent a movie now it
comes with introductory trailers.  In some sense you have given someone
money to show you ads.

I would be delighted to be able to read a newspaper without any ads, but I
expect they will find a way of including ads on their content in Kindle.

The question also assumes that newspaper subscriptions generate more
revenue that advertising.  I don't think that is the case with newspapers,
especially when you factor in the classifieds.  I was under the impression
that years ago newspapers felt compelled to get on the web to preserve
their classifieds business because Yahoo etc. were offering online
classifieds at better rates than the newspapers.  They set up their sites
in part to offer an online equivalent to their print classifieds.

It is going to be a long time before there are enough Kindles out there to
challenge the Internet as the online advertising medium.  I think that
online newspapers are going to be around for quite some time.

Katy

Kathryn K. Silberger
Automation Resources Librarian
James A. Cannavino Library