[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Tue Nov 20 13:47:25 EST 2007

Pons, Lisa (ponslm) wrote:
> I don't get it: who's talking about dumping iphones, blackberry's etc...
> for this? It's an ebook reader, not a tricorder!
>
> For my part, I think this is cool. WAY too pricey for me, so I will wait
> and see if it goes the way of the iPhone and the price goes down.
>
> One thing I know- as much as I LOVE my 30GB iPod, I do not want to read
> books on it, nor my phone, or palm. Screens are just too small. So, I
> might give this a try,and if the display is good-yeah! If not, well, I
> can return it, or put it in my "Museum of Now Useless Though at One Time
> Cool Things", like my first 3 palms, my first two mp3 players (256mb!!),
> my first laptop (1 GB Harddrive!!),and assorted modems, scanners, and
> monitors.
>
> For me, the jury is out.Knowing this is the first generation- I see the
> good as someone who reads non-stop, I love the idea of 9.99 for books-(
> though I wonder if I can put a restriction on myself to or my credit
> card: nomore than 20.00 month?) As someone who gets their news online
> (due to lack of good paper here), I would love to read the NYT,
> Washington Post, and blogs and more on a smaller device, where I want
> to, instead of the computer. (Yes, I have wireless, but still hard to
> read sitting on my deck in the sunlight).

Smartphones and laptops are the obvious competitors to this contraption.
   People use those devices for very similar activities.  Unless Amazon
is aiming for a niche market, some thought about alternatives should be
made.

Many people, just to take one example, already do read the NYT and WaPo
on their Smartphones -- and contrary the the Kindle, the pictures are in
color!

What's so 'cool' about a device that has all the form fact of an Apple
Newton, can't do color for the life of it, doesn't do networking -- but
only to, um, certain destinations and for certain kinds of transactions?

The jury may still be out but Steve Levy's article proclaimed this
device as the dawn of a new age.  It's not by accident that he dedicated
a significant portion of his lengthly article to the demise of the book.

It's only natural then to want to measure these claims with the competition.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)

aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'