[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Matthew J. Simon msimon at desu.edu
Tue Nov 20 14:09:33 EST 2007

I am surprised by the negativity I have read about this promising new product.  I would hope that at a few people on this board actually try it out before damning it.  I travel frequently, on business and for pleasure.  And by the time I pack my laptop, my overnight bag, my yummy lunch or snack for the plane, remember my coat, keys, and envelope of boarding passes, hotel reservations, discount coupons for off-airport long term parking, etc., my choice of reading material has been severely limited by my capacity to shoulder weight.

The mewling about the initial cost  is pathetic and ill-informed about the diminishing price of maturing technologies.  If you want it, but think you can't afford it, amortize the expense over a two or a three year period.  And it will come out to a couple of bucks a week--or less than a Starbucks Grande.  And if you still think you can't hack it, wait a year or two and order it from J&R Electronics.  Or Amazon.  Or trade for the one owned by the kid down the block.  He or she will already have moved on to Wave II or III.

M. J. Simon