[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Pons, Lisa (ponslm) PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue Nov 20 12:25:48 EST 2007

I don't get it: who's talking about dumping iphones, blackberry's etc...
for this? It's an ebook reader, not a tricorder!

For my part, I think this is cool. WAY too pricey for me, so I will wait
and see if it goes the way of the iPhone and the price goes down.

One thing I know- as much as I LOVE my 30GB iPod, I do not want to read
books on it, nor my phone, or palm. Screens are just too small. So, I
might give this a try,and if the display is good-yeah! If not, well, I
can return it, or put it in my "Museum of Now Useless Though at One Time
Cool Things", like my first 3 palms, my first two mp3 players (256mb!!),
my first laptop (1 GB Harddrive!!),and assorted modems, scanners, and
monitors.

For me, the jury is out.Knowing this is the first generation- I see the
good as someone who reads non-stop, I love the idea of 9.99 for books-(
though I wonder if I can put a restriction on myself to or my credit
card: nomore than 20.00 month?) As someone who gets their news online
(due to lack of good paper here), I would love to read the NYT,
Washington Post, and blogs and more on a smaller device, where I want
to, instead of the computer. (Yes, I have wireless, but still hard to
read sitting on my deck in the sunlight).

So, I look forward to reading what other actual users of it say.

Lisa