[Web4lib] library website redesign schedules

Amy Ostrom amostrom at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 15:00:11 EDT 2006

Dear Thom:

I highly recommend you check out the book Web Redesign 2.0: Workflow That
Works.

But as a quick summary, for a redesign I do an evaluation of what people are
saying about the current design to get an idea what needs serious
consideration.  I also keep in mind all the accessibility and standards when
reviewing feedback and designing (it is also a good idea to write down all
the things you plan to do to make your site accessible and standards-based
to incorporate into development).  At this stage, just storyboard on paper,
find some initial agreement among categories and navigation, then do some
informal usability studies with the hand-drawn storyboards.  Informal
usability testing throughout the project will lead to few major changes when
developing the site.  Once you, staff, and select patrons feel comfortable
with the storyboard, start making it happen.  Once you are done, do formal
usability studies.  Make whatever changes are necessary and make it live.
>From here, continual maintenance and web statistics will keep you busy.

In our current redesign, we just set a go live date and plan major goal
timepoints to keep us on track.

Good luck with your redesign!

In peace,

Amy M Ostrom