[Web4lib] Great script, but Catch 22

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Tue Jun 20 15:44:54 EDT 2006

A while back, someone posted a link to a nice javascript that fixes some of
the serious problems in the Endeavor Voyager keyword search.  The script and
instructions are posted to:
<http://ksulib.typepad.com/did/2006/04/voyager_keyword.html>

Here's the thing:  the blog entry says that the fix is free for noncommercial
use, but that request that people ask for permission to use it.  They also
suggest asking permission from the people they got it from, and two steps
upstream as well (Yale and UCLA libraries).

But no contact emails are provided either for KSU, Yale or UCLA.

It makes it hard to be polite and ask permission if you can't find the right
people to ask. I tried contacting the person who I think made the blog entry
(it's signed with initials only), but no reply.  And Yale and UCLA libraries
are pretty big places - I have no idea who to ask at those institutions.

I want to be nice and ask permission,  but it's hard without names and
contact info.

Any suggestions?  I really want to get our implementation of Voyager fixed,
as the generic interface is just awful.  Users who enter boolean terms in
a keyword search get error messages (example: keyword search "war and peace"
gives an uninformative generic "search not understood" type error.)

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist
stacy.pober at manhattan.edu