making IE secure on a multi-user machine

Kenneth R. Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Thu Sep 19 16:05:08 EDT 2002

Hi folks,

I expect this has been addressed, but searching through the archives for IE
security issues is almost pointless; I hope someone will know what the
specific words I'd need to search for are if nothing else...

Our local campus IT-folk don't like to run IE on campus because they say
all the personal information (cookies, bookmarks, history etc.) get saved
in a C: cache once a (Win2K) network user logs off, thus creating potential
security problems. Their answer is to cripple IE so no personal settings
can be saved - bookmarks, homepage, etc. That leaves the increasingly
decrepit NS4 as the only supported browser on campus (I don't even want to
talk about why that's the case, but suffice it to say I'm not fighting that
battle.)

Does anyone know of a good savvy way to make IE (5 or 6) safe from the
security issues that concern them? I can't help but feel that there's a
more deft way the disallowing personalization. If this has already been
discussed ad nauseam, please point me to the archived discussion and that
will hopefully suffice.

Many thanks,
Ken

Ken Irwin                                               kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian        (937) 327-7594
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University