postgresql upgrade problem

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue May 28 10:04:21 EDT 2002

Okay, so I didn't read the documentation first.  Before I subscribe to
another list(PostgreSQL) I thought I would seek assistance here first.  I
have upgraded PostgreSQL from 6.5 to 7.2 but did not run pg_dumpall before
the upgrade.  Now, trying to start the database I get the message that I
need to upgrade the data format.  Well, to upgrade the data format you need
to run pg_dumpall from the old db and then run pg_restore to restore the db
in the new db engine.  pg_dump/pg_dumpall will not run if the database
engine is not running and the db engine will not run since the db format has
not been dumped from the old version and restored to the new version.  Does
anyone know a work around for this? Can I move the "base" directory to the
new location and the system db's.

Thomas

ps.  The reason for all this dump and restore is that after version 6.5
PostgreSQL changed most of the directory paths for its data and program
files.

  Use The Help Desk at http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help
                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine