What's wrong with virtual reference

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 7 10:17:35 EST 2002

Here are some of my objections to total virtual reference:

* There is a finite number of computer workstations that can be utilized
in the library.  My library has approximately 20 workstations for public
access.  Not all of them may be using the Internet (these are Gates
grant workstations which include educational games, word processing,
spread sheets, the Encarta suite, etc.).  The 21st person has to wait
until a workstation is vacant.

* For various reasons access may be denied.  The power may be out at the
vendor's location.  The power serving the library may be out.
Telecommunications may fail.  All the public access computers may have
problems, and the library's computer techies may not be available.  (It
happened at one Los Angeles Public Library branch that I know of;
evidently their techies don't work nights or weekends.)

* People don't know how to use electronic resources.  My library offers
classes which cover basic computer skills and Internet use, but few
people in relation to the size of our service area attend.  Teachers
don't educate their students about effective use of online materials
(how to construct a search, how to evaluate the findings, and how to
judge whether a website provides legitmate and accurate information).
The tools to teach these skills are readily availble: teachers don't
take advantage of them.
--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor-at-Large,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at mindspring.com
Visit my web page:  http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
When you absolutely, positively HAVE to know, ASK A LIBRARIAN!