[WEB4LIB] RE: What's wrong with virtual reference?

Steve Oberg stoberg at tayloru.edu
Sat Dec 7 08:58:45 EST 2002

That's a pretty heartwarming description:  "...a small band of
dedicated librarian pioneers who have clawed their way to providing
this service despite of, not because of, their professional milieu."
Could be said of any number of initiatives.

Seriously, though, I've had plenty of experience with that
anti-innovation professional milieu also.  I am not anti-innovation, in
fact, I am one of those people in the environments in which I've worked
who receive regular criticism and opposition for promoting new
technologies and innovations.  My experience is mainly with academic
libraries, and the extent of the anti-anything-new mentality in some of
them is, I think, incredible.

That said, I stick by my point that moderation is a good thing when it
comes to implementing new initiatives, whether it be virtual reference
or outsourcing or whatever else.  Also, I think there is a need to be
willing to re-think new initiatives once they're implemented, to
re-evaluate them on an ongoing basis in order to ensure that users'
needs are truly being served.

I wish that "small band of dedicated librarian pioneers" success in
their ongoing effort.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Electronic Resources Librarian