[WEB4LIB] What's wrong with virtual reference

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Sat Dec 7 12:40:33 EST 2002

Saturday, December 7, 2002, 8:18:01 AM, you wrote:

SK> Here are some of my objections to total virtual reference:

SK> * There is a finite number of computer workstations that can be utilized
SK> in the library.  My library has approximately 20 workstations for public
SK> access.  Not all of them may be using the Internet (these are Gates
SK> grant workstations which include educational games, word processing,
SK> spread sheets, the Encarta suite, etc.).  The 21st person has to wait
SK> until a workstation is vacant.

I don't believe ANYONE is advocating "total virtual reference".  I
can't imagine that we would hide in the back room and make patrons at
public PCs start a chat session to contact us.  Almost all virtual
reference is being done at a distance.  Thus it is an alternative to
snail mail, telephone, and so forth.  I also don't know of any
libraries that are doing virtual ref that have abandoned ftf ref or
other methods of contact.  If you do, let me know who they are.

SK> * For various reasons access may be denied.  The power may be out at the
SK> vendor's location.  The power serving the library may be out.
SK> Telecommunications may fail.  All the public access computers may have
SK> problems, and the library's computer techies may not be available.  (It
SK> happened at one Los Angeles Public Library branch that I know of;
SK> evidently their techies don't work nights or weekends.)

Right.  And there are power outages at libraries, too.  We had one the
other day and evacuated the library for safety.  No one got any
reference service during that time, no matter where they were.  Yes,
stuff happens, but happens in all environments.

SK> * People don't know how to use electronic resources.  My library offers
SK> classes which cover basic computer skills and Internet use, but few
SK> people in relation to the size of our service area attend.  Teachers
SK> don't educate their students about effective use of online materials
SK> (how to construct a search, how to evaluate the findings, and how to
SK> judge whether a website provides legitmate and accurate information).
SK> The tools to teach these skills are readily availble: teachers don't
SK> take advantage of them.

Of course if they had virtual reference, they wouldn't be out there
wandering around the web on their own.  They could be in a session
with a genuine librarian who could push quality stuff to them.  There
aren't many people with a net computer who can't figure out how to
click that IM icon on their desktop.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA