[WEB4LIB] Input sought for updating Accessible Web Workstation

Cathy Cox cathy_cox at wvmccd.cc.ca.us
Thu May 3 17:50:17 EDT 2001

We are in the middle of setting up the computers in our new (open as of
5/1!) library, and will be configuring four workstations for students with
various types of needs.  In our old building, the only accessibility
software we had was ZoomText level 2; the new stations will
include  ZoomText, JAWS, Dragon Dictate Naturally (which allows
voice-control of the computer) and a Kurzweil read & scan station (in the
future).  Things you may want to consider in setting up your station:

1.  Not all software packages will work together.  From what I've been
told, JAWS is particularly touchy about being loaded on machines with other
packages.  It also requires fairly significant training to use
properly.  On a college campus such as ours, students are trained in the
use of the software by the Disabled Instructional Support Center and the
library is not required to teach the users, but in a public library setting
you might find yourself needing to do much more instruction on a fairly
complicated program.  However, it does things that no other program I know
of does as well, such as allowing a non-sighted user to access information
in databases or spreadsheets.   If your users ONLY browse the web, you
might not need all the features of JAWS and might do better with Home Page
Reader (although I haven't heard as much about it and have no personal
experience with it).

2.  ZoomText is wonderful, easy to use, and includes a document reader that
allows users to hear what they're reading as well.  If you can only get one
software package, this would be the one I'd recommend.

3.  Pointing devices are relatively cheap.  Why limit your users to either
a trackball OR a mouse, when you can hook up both and let them use
whichever works best for them?  If you use a splitter such as the one from
Ymouse <http://www.ymouse.com/> you can accomodate users' needs more easily.

Catherine Cox
Electronic Resources Librarian
Mission College Library
cathy_cox at wvmccd.cc.ca.us

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly.
It should  be thrown with great force.
                         - Dorothy Parker