Input sought for updating Accessible Web Workstation

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu May 3 14:29:24 EDT 2001

Last October, with significant input from colleagues, I put together a
budget for an Accessible Web Workstation.  I am pleased to say that when a
local bank unexpectedly gave us a gift of $1,000, our director immediately
thought of this project and told me to use the $1,000 toward making it
happen.

The current version of this budget is at
http://www.shenpublib.org/accessibility

If you have updated information (feedback on a software product, a new
product to list, a version change to be aware of, etc.), please get back to
me by Friday, May 11, 2001.  I will send out a message when I have
incorporated all of the changes.

I'm going to match the $1,000 by tweezing money from our own tech budget,
but we aren't going to be able to get everything on the list.  We are
beginning this project by targeting visually-challenged but sighted users
(typical of our older users who attend our computer classes) and focusing on
the workstation and extra-large monitor, the large-print keyboard overlays,
the oversized trackball, and the very bright task light.  (We have a
workstation table we can use.) If you have experience with Jaws, Zoomtext or
IBM Home Page Reader, I'd be curious to hear what you had to say about usage
and whether you would make any one of these a priority for our purchase.

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director for Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library www.shenpublib.org