[WEB4LIB] Input sought for updating Accessible Web Workstation

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at mail.vicnet.net.au
Thu May 3 19:51:17 EDT 2001

HI Karen

other possibilities really depend on what type of disabilities you're
aiming for

in some of the work my supervisor has trialled in libraries:

the opera web browser is useful, its ability to engage/disengage images,
resize size are quite good, we've also  tested using high contrast css
stylesheets to override web sites .. to provide large text and use high
contrasting colours ... these stylesheets can be enabled/disable by
keyboard sequences

other issues: physical impairment and limited coordination ... hiiting
individual keys can be hard for soem people, its possible to get perspex
keyboard guards .. effectively a sheet of perspex fitted over the keyboard,
with holes in the perspex in order to type a key ... aloows people with
limited mobility/dexterity in their hands to rest on teh keyboard and type
a key, without the possibility of typing more than one key at the same
time, also useful for people with severe arthritis .. allows then to rest
hands on keyboard.

another suggestion is the  possibility of using a touch screen ... just an
idea ...

Andj

Andrew Cunningham
Multilingual Technical Project Officer
Accessibility and Evauluation Unit, Vicnet
State Library of Victoria
Australia

andrewc at vicnet.net.au

http://www.openroad.net.au/