[WEB4LIB] Win2000 download restrictions

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Jun 6 08:57:31 EDT 2001

I haven't been able to prevent downloading yet but you can stop installing
programs with W2K built in features.

With W2K you need first to make sure your disk format is NTFS not FAT32.
There is a utility in the Disk Manager to change a FAT32 disk to NTFS
without losing data.  Once your sure you have an NTFS drive you can set
read/write/execute/etc restrictions on the disks for each user.  Its a good
idea to change the administrator username to something else, that will make
it harder for someone to log in as an administrator.

  We have a public login which is the same for all public PCs and have set
Drive C to  disallow writing for the public login.  This does not interfere
with programs like Netscape writing cache files. It must see Netscape and
other programs running as System, not the user, and System still retains
write access.  We've tested downloading and installing programs using
Netscape and IE.  A program can be downloaded to the desktop but the install
program crashes when trying to install the software.  So the software is
never allowed to run on the machine but this doesn't prevent multimedia
files (graphics, sound, etc.) that might be copyright from being on the PC.

With further investigation of W2Ks administration I may find ways to limit
download but not yet.  It may be as easy as removing a dll that is vital in
FTP.  That's similar to how we lock down preferences in Netscape, the
prefui32.dll (preferences user interface) a 13k file is removed from the
Netscape program directory which is necessary for bringing up the
preferences window. When we need to make a change just copy that file back
in from another directory (not in the Path) where we keep it on the hard
drive.

Hope this helps some,

Thomas

  Use The Help Desk at http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help
                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine