internal error in Windows Internet extensions

Thomas Edelblute thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us
Thu Mar 16 11:34:36 EST 2000

I have two brand new Gateway PCs that I am trying to set up for public
access Internet.  However, IE and Netscape refuse to connect to any
site.

IE 4 is giving the message:
Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site [name of site]
An internal error occurred in the Windows Internet extensions.

Netscape 4.5 is giving the massage
Netscape is unable to locate the server [name of site]
Please check the server name and try again.

We have tried several different sites and verified that they do come up
on other computers.

I have gone over the TCP/IP setting and brought outside help and we
cannot figure anything out.

One of the currious symptoms is that when we do a tracert
www.anaheim.net the PCs in question cannot resolve the address, but when
we tracert 209.25.32.100 it completes the trace route just fine.  I can
also bing by IP but not by name.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Thomas Edelblute
Anaheim Public Library